The Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) provides financial support to post-secondary students, and recent post-secondary and high school graduates who are unable to find work due to COVID-19.
This benefit is for students who do not qualify for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) or Employment Insurance (EI).
From May to August 2020, the CESB provides a payment to eligible students of:
$1,250 For each 4-week period
$2,000 For each 4-week period, if you have dependants or a disability
You can only apply for one eligibility period at a time. If your situation continues, you must re-apply for another 4-week eligibility period.
The CESB is available to eligible post-secondary students, post-secondary graduates, and students who have recently left their post-graduate studies.
You can start applying during the May 10 to June 6 eligibility period. If your situation continues, you must re-apply for another 4-week eligibility period.
Eligibility periods for post-secondary students:
- May 10 to June 6, 2020
- June 7 to July 4, 2020
- July 5 to August 1, 2020
- August 2 to August 29, 2020
Graduating high school students
The CESB is only available to eligible students who:
- completed or expect to complete high school, or received, or expect to receive their high school equivalency in 2020
- applied for a post-secondary educational program that starts before February 1, 2021
If you complete high school:
- before June 7, 2020, your high school completion date must be before the start of the first eligibility period you are applying for
- after June 7, 2020, you can only apply for 2 eligibility periods, starting from the July 5 to August 1 eligibility period
Two ways to apply:
Online – My CRA Account:
By phone – 1-800-959-2019 or 1-800-959-2041
Before you call to verify your identity, you’ll need:
- your Social Insurance Number (SIN); and
- postal code
Please click the following link for more information: