Correct your taxes with the Voluntary Disclosures Program

The Voluntary Disclosures Program (VDP) gives you a chance to change a tax return you previously filed or file a return that you should have filed. By making these changes through the VDP, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) may give you relief from prosecution and penalties.

How do you make a voluntary disclosure?

Complete Form RC199, Voluntary Disclosures Program (VDP) – Taxpayer Agreement and submit documents online service through My Account and My Business Account or your accountant can submit it on your behalf.


Important facts

By applying to the CRA under the VDP, you might only pay the taxes you owe plus interest.

A valid disclosure has to meet all four of the following conditions:

  • a penalty would apply
  • it is voluntary, which means you make it before you are aware of the CRA taking any compliance action against you
  • the information is at least one year overdue
  • it includes all the relevant information.

Anyone can use the VDP, including individuals, businesses, employers, payers, trusts and estates, whether a resident or a non-resident of Canada.