Taxes and the Tax Department – What to do when someone who has died

We understand that dealing with the death of a loved one is difficult time.  It does involve dealing with their tax situation after they have passed away.  Some of the tasks that need to be done include:

  • Contacting the tax department and let them know the deceased’s date of death as soon as possible at 1-800-959-8281.
  • If the deceased was receiving any benefit or credit payments such as the Goods and Services tax (GST) credit, the working income tax benefit advance payments, and/or the Canada child benefit, please also let the tax department know to stop the payments and, if applicable, transfer them to a survivor.
  • A final personal tax return must also be filed for the deceased. On the final return, all of the deceased’s income, credits, and deductions   are included from January 1st of the year of death up to and including the date of death.
  • Income earned after the date of death may have to be reported on a T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return.
  • The legal representative or executor is required to file any tax returns for the years that the person did not file before he or she died.
  • The due date for the final return depends on the deceased’s date of death. Please contact our office for help in determining due dates and timing for all tax filings due.